Reviews, Reflections, Recollections

Just a blog filled with my usual irreverent observations about life and all that.

Name:
Location: Singapore, Singapore

enjoys reading and is perpetually trying to find space for all of the books he owns in his room. He also enjoys films, and in particular, going to the cinema. Although a self-confessed trivia buff, reports that he is an insufferable know-it-all are completely unfounded. He enjoys a nice glass of tipple now and then, be it a pint of beer, a glass of wine or a single malt whisky.

Thursday, October 20, 2005

Quite A Day - GRE Scores

Just thought I would write about Wednesday which turned into quite a day, busy but filled with generally good news.

Got up late which was not good and had to cycle in a mad rush down to College and postpone my shift in the library (I usually work from 2-3pm on weekdays shelving books) so I could go to the careers fair at the town hall. It was the management consultancies who were down, and I am genuinely interested in a job with a consultancy firm, as an alternative to journalism and post-graduate study, so I was glad I made the effort to go down. Talked to the usual - McKinsey, who were really popular and very impressive, Bain, Mercer Oliver and Wyman and a few smaller ones who looked interested as well. An ex-Trinity post-grad was actually at the Bain booth, having completed his Phd and found a job with Bain almost immediately. They talk a great deal about Oxford grads being much sought after and employable and I sure do hope this is the case.

On the way over, I picked up my GRE scores, which turned out pretty good. I scored 670 on verbal, which I already knew, but that was good enough for 94th percentile, though my 750 for math surprisingly only put me on the 80th percentile, but I did horribly run out of time for the math paper, so it could have gone a lot worse. The highlight was definitely the fact that I scored a full 6.0 out of 6.0 for the writing component, and given that it placed me in the 96th percentile, only 4% of the people scored maximums. Overall, pretty well pleased with the results, and given the amount of prep put in (which was decent but not a really great deal) should be quite happy about everything really.

Later in the afternoon, to add to the excitement, I auditioned for mastermind, which is probably the most prestigious game show in the United Kingdom. The audition consisted of 20 questions, and it went pretty well I think. Got a few of them right, but got one or two wrong which I really should have gotten right - the question that definitely will bug me is one where the answer was Andy Warhol, and it was stuck at the back of my head and couldn't quite make it out. It will be an interesting wait of two weeks or so to see if I can qualify.

Then to top off a massively crazy day, I had a wonderful Jardine dinner with Jim and Mary Reid at the Old Parsonage Hotel. I think I was in quite a witty, wisecracking mood on the evening, partly aided by rushing around madly for most of the day, and missing lunch, and I expounded on just about anything and everything. I just hope that I did not seem too much of a wise ass - Bianca and Janet were their usual quiet but still forceful selves and didn't seem to mind and the Reids did enjoy it I think. The two new scholars sitting at the other end of the table did seem a bit dazed, especially with my frankness, but they will soon learn, I hope!

So definitely one for the annals - a crazy day for sure.

3 Comments:

Blogger vaoliveiro said...

Caleb!

I think you did great on your GREs! It's really the percentile they look at, rather than the actual score. And it would've surprised me if you hadn't scored a perfect 6/6 on the written portion of the test. It is, to say the least, remarkably easy.

22 October, 2005  
Blogger Caleb Liu said...

Thank you very much - now it is a matter of getting the application and collecting references and so on. The writing section is quite easy, I just had no idea how stringent the marking of it is.

23 October, 2005  
Blogger Tanuj Solanki said...

that was great goin as far as the writing secs scores go... really good.
me givin gre in decenber... ne tips

27 October, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home