Reviews, Reflections, Recollections

Just a blog filled with my usual irreverent observations about life and all that.

Name:
Location: Singapore, Singapore

enjoys reading and is perpetually trying to find space for all of the books he owns in his room. He also enjoys films, and in particular, going to the cinema. Although a self-confessed trivia buff, reports that he is an insufferable know-it-all are completely unfounded. He enjoys a nice glass of tipple now and then, be it a pint of beer, a glass of wine or a single malt whisky.

Thursday, September 29, 2005

GRE Examination

I did my GREs on Wednesday in London, after having made a decision to apply for graduate school while I was in Hong Kong, and signing up for the test at the office, there and then. All in all, I found the actual test quite tough, and I especially had a problem in managing time - I ran out of time in the math section, though I still managed to finish all the questions. This was rather surprising - I had managed to finish off all the questions in the 3 practice exams that I had done, 2 of them provided by GRE itself, but I was mightly realived when it was all over.

Since it was computer based testing, they gave me my scores at the end of all of it - I had a 660 for verbal and a 750 for maths. I had been hoping for a slighly higher verbal score since I though I had done pretty decently for that section, but I was well pleased with how the math score turned out, seeing that I had thought I had done far worse than that score suggests. In the practice test I did, I scored similarly on both those sections, and that equated to eing in the 95th percentile for verbal and the 86th percentile for the maths, so I am definitely hopeful that it will be the same in this case.

I found out at the end of the test that you have to nominate 4 Universities to have your results sent to right there on the spot. I had roughly chose mine, but was still considering a back up option. In the end I put down Harvard, Yale, Columbia and Georgetown - all wonderful universities, but perhaps also speaking of a great deal of hubris on my part. What annoyed me tremendously was that a payment of $10 is required for scores to sent to each further university. I might stick with these 4 and see how the rest of things turn out.

So, all in all, things turned out pretty good, though I hasten to qualify this remark until my full score report comes in the post, including the two writing sections. Considering I had taken the test a mere 2 days after coming in from Singapore, had done pretty minimal practice all things considered, and that I ran out of time in most of the sections, I should be pretty pleased irregardless.

1 Comments:

Blogger nancy john said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12 April, 2014  

Post a Comment

<< Home