Reviews, Reflections, Recollections

Just a blog filled with my usual irreverent observations about life and all that.

Name:
Location: Singapore, Singapore

enjoys reading and is perpetually trying to find space for all of the books he owns in his room. He also enjoys films, and in particular, going to the cinema. Although a self-confessed trivia buff, reports that he is an insufferable know-it-all are completely unfounded. He enjoys a nice glass of tipple now and then, be it a pint of beer, a glass of wine or a single malt whisky.

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Nocturnal Me

I have seriously messed up my sleep cycle - and I mean really seriously this time. I have taken to staying up till 6am or later and waking up after lunch. This is really not an ideal situation and I need to get my life rotating back along societally normal bounds.

Did some serious reading, though much of it non-academic. Read Pompeii by Robert Harris, Speaker for the Dead and Xenocide by Orson Scott Card, In Praise of Slow by Carl Honore among others. I am currently reading Causing Death and Saving Lives, which is a very fine book about practical ethics written by Jonathan Glover. It looks into issues such as abortion and infanticide, euthanasia, war and the question of whether an omission is less blameworthy that an act (i.e if it were the case that I withheld life saving medicine from a person, I am less blameworthy that if I had killed the person directly). The book has the plus point of not only being of personal and intrinsic interest to me, but also relevent to my degree.

Other than that I have cleared up my room and done the laundry, most definitely something to be proud of!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home