Reviews, Reflections, Recollections

Just a blog filled with my usual irreverent observations about life and all that.

Name:
Location: Singapore, Singapore

enjoys reading and is perpetually trying to find space for all of the books he owns in his room. He also enjoys films, and in particular, going to the cinema. Although a self-confessed trivia buff, reports that he is an insufferable know-it-all are completely unfounded. He enjoys a nice glass of tipple now and then, be it a pint of beer, a glass of wine or a single malt whisky.

Tuesday, December 20, 2005

A Nice Weekend

I had quite a nice weekend with cookouts in my flat on Saturday and Sunday evenings which was lovely in spite of the usual little squabbling. Damien came over on both occasions and cooked chicken wings on Sunday. Gillian cooked Spring Rolls on Saturday which turned out well despite being short of several ingredients.

Had a lovely weekend with DT coming over and spending time with me. It was wonderful just doing little things like going shopping at Somerfield's and talking and listening to music. She bought me a load of presents for Christmas which I am very touched by.

Only other things of note recently - last Monday (12 Dec) was the screening date for Trinity's appearance on University Challenge. It was fun watching it in the JCR with a whole bunch of interview candidates, though just mildly embarrasing. Afterwards, went to the pub with Jonny Ayling, Ben and Alex and got pretty well sloshed. I remember going back to Alex's and toasting each other with his London Pride over goodness knows what, but had a wonderful time anyhow.

I have also just been told that I have been accepted as a contestant on Mastermind, quite possibly the most prestigous (intellectually at least) quiz show in the UK, if not worldwide. I am quite pleased about it and will be going down to Manchester at the end of March for filming. Should be pretty enjoyable.

Other than that, I managed to catch King Kong with Douglas and Damien on Friday evening, and I really enjoyed it. The special effects were something to behold, and worth the price of admission alone, but the true amazing thing is that the movie actually managed to make the relationship between Ann Darrow and King Kong affecting. On the downside it is a tad self indulgent, what with one hour's worth of an opening sequence before they even reach the island. Also, some B grade elements are maintained, particularly the savages on the island, but that perhaps due to the fact that it is a homage.

Literary wise, I am finishing John Banville's The Book of Evidence, and I am also reading Robert Nozick's Anarchy, State and Utopia. The latter is definitely brilliant, and a surprisingly good read for a book on political philosophy.

Also, I finished up on my application to Columbia, and I managed to get transcripts posted off, now am looking to complete applications to Harvard, Georgetown, Yale and hopefully Oxford and LSE as well.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Come to LSE, you little sexpot. We'll have you.

20 December, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home