Reviews, Reflections, Recollections

Just a blog filled with my usual irreverent observations about life and all that.

Name:
Location: Singapore, Singapore

enjoys reading and is perpetually trying to find space for all of the books he owns in his room. He also enjoys films, and in particular, going to the cinema. Although a self-confessed trivia buff, reports that he is an insufferable know-it-all are completely unfounded. He enjoys a nice glass of tipple now and then, be it a pint of beer, a glass of wine or a single malt whisky.

Sunday, November 27, 2005

Harry Potter

I saw Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire with DT today, and it was a reasonably enjoyable film, and a fine addition to the series. As expected the visuals were top notch, with dragons, mermaids, pegasus pulled chariots and shifting mazes, it was quite a delight. Somehow though I found this movie just slightly less than captivating though. One big problem that I definitely found was that it was obvious that large chunks of narrative had been cut out, leaving more of a set piece focusing on the central elements of the story - the tri-wizard championships and the plot involving the return of the dark lord Voldemort.

This movie was definitely meant to be a lot darker than some of the originals, and there are some scenes that do frighten. I wasn't overly impressed with the finale involving the dark lord however. Mike Newell, the director has done a polished job with the movie, and his style is a continuation of Alfonso Cuaron's whose darker, edgier work in the last movie made it the best of the series in my opinion.

I thought that acting wise, the ensemble cast remained wonderful - Brendan Gleeson standing out as new professor 'Mad Eye Moody" while Michael Gambon has truly made the role of Dumbledore his own. With Maggie Smith and Alan Rickman as 'ensemble' cast you really cannot go far wrong. As for the teenage leads I think that Rupert Grint really has grown into his role as Ron very well, and Emma Watson has turned into a radiant little beauty, portraying an older more mature and less snotty Hermione very well indeed. Question marks remain over Daniel Radcliffe, however in my opinion, as I didn't quite find him convincing in portraying Harry faced with adolescent attention - and increasing isolation as a result.

All in all, I remain relatively neutral about the series as a whole. I am not a huge fan of the books or the movies, and I am not convinced that the series is particularly captivating fantasy. Besides, the fantasy movie of the vacation that I am truly looking forward to was not this movie but rather The Chronicles of Narnia, which I am sure will be far more captivating.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home