Reviews, Reflections, Recollections

Just a blog filled with my usual irreverent observations about life and all that.

Name:
Location: Singapore, Singapore

enjoys reading and is perpetually trying to find space for all of the books he owns in his room. He also enjoys films, and in particular, going to the cinema. Although a self-confessed trivia buff, reports that he is an insufferable know-it-all are completely unfounded. He enjoys a nice glass of tipple now and then, be it a pint of beer, a glass of wine or a single malt whisky.

Saturday, March 18, 2006

Johari Window

I have found a rather interesting site which seeks to examine an individual's personality awareness. Basically the idea is that there is a 5 by 11 grid with boxes containing different adjectives. The individual chooses 5 or 6 words which he thinks best describes himself. He then asks others to choose the 5 or 6 words which they think best describes him. The result is that you are able to compare the difference between how you view yourself and of course how various individual's view you.

Please do contribute to my own Johari Window. You can access my results from the link that I have given.

2 Comments:

Blogger Caleb Liu said...

Well, I agree with you in a sense, but it is interesting in a number of ways. Firstly, though all the words are written with a positive spin on things, there are definitely a range of contrasting qualities, "self assertive" is very different from "shy" and "calm".

What was interesting for me is how different people viewed me and how that contrasted with the way in which I interacted with them, and when I did so. For example, the two people who knew me before I came to the UK for university gave a rather different set of adjectives to other people who knew me later. Furthermore, the one person who matched most of the ones I choose, is also the person with whom I am most concious of projecting a certain "image of myself" as I want to be seen.

I am personally fascinated by issues concerning personality and such - probably influenced by my sister who is a psychology major.

As for adjectives I would pick for myself, stubborn, strong headed, opinionated, somewhat cynical.

25 March, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Caleb is being silly.
If you choose to interact with different people in a different way (consciously or otherwise), then you'd obviously expect them to form different opinions of your character. No?

As for how your friends from before Oxford judged/viewed you as compared to who you think you are/ what you think you've become now... don't you think time, distance and experience changes a person irrevocably? Perhaps your Sg friends simply haven't had enough time to interact with you since to notice the minute changes.. or perhaps you regress(? :P) into previous behaviour in their presence in a last desperate attempt to cling to the remnents of safety, freedom and carefree-ness of those days of old.


One thing I /am/ curious about though.. Am I the one you were referring to with regard to the person you were self-conscicously trying to project a set of 'desirable characteristics' to?
Given the possible implications, I'm not entirely certain if I actually want an affirmative response to that question...

But then again, he's going to accuse me of over-analyzing situations and thinking too much either way. =P

29 March, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home