Reviews, Reflections, Recollections

Just a blog filled with my usual irreverent observations about life and all that.

Name:
Location: Singapore, Singapore

enjoys reading and is perpetually trying to find space for all of the books he owns in his room. He also enjoys films, and in particular, going to the cinema. Although a self-confessed trivia buff, reports that he is an insufferable know-it-all are completely unfounded. He enjoys a nice glass of tipple now and then, be it a pint of beer, a glass of wine or a single malt whisky.

Saturday, April 16, 2005

Haywired Sleep Cycles, Packing and Eating Out

Today was another quiet day. I still have not managed to get my sleep cycle back on track since coming back from South America and it means that I am generally sleeping between the hours of 5am and 12 noon. Definitely not a good thing, and I will try to slowly correct it before the start of term. I did attend a talk about the Booker Prize, which was interesting if only for the fact that the members of the panel were all former prize judges, with one of them being the chair of this year's prize. The chief point of interest for me was to see how exactly the decision process went, which was in itself a very fascinating thing. Attending the talk also underlined my admiration for the judges, many of whom had to read 130 odd books in a similar number of days to decide the longlist.

I also finally got my room back today, which has been very nice. It was a great feeling unpacking all of my books and arranging them on the shelves. However, a corollary to this is that I realize now that it will be an absolute nightmare for me at the end of term, as I have accumulated far far too many things, and it will be all but impossible to store all of this stuff, not to mention that it is going to take a great deal of effort to move all of it to the loft!
I met up with Charles and later Peter for dinner tonight and we went to the Oriental Condor, interestingly enough my first time there. The food was surprisingly good, and I will definitely go back again. Speaking of culinary matters, I tried out the Old Orleans restaurant on George Street last night and it was definitely disappointing, and hardly worth the 13 pound bill. I eat out FAR too often, and it is definitely expensive here in Oxford, but I always make the excuse to myself of the lack of kitchen facilities in college, not to mention my lack of culinary skills to begin with.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home